“Ohhhh. That’s them?!” “I didn’t know that was their song?!” “Will Demi Lovato make a surprise appearance?!”
These are just some of the comments that I overheard after the Campus Activities Board announced 2018’s Plexapalooza artist: Cheat Codes. As a person with little knowledge of the EDM scene, I was very proud to be able to recall a few of their popular songs. I can promise you that if I played a couple of their hits for you, you would recognize some as well. With my newly realized EDM expertise, I have decided to make you guys a cheat sheet to Cheat Codes, so that you don’t walk into Plexapalooza confused or uninformed—after all, that’s the alcohol’s job.
- Cheat Codes is an EDM group consisting of Trevor Dahl, Kevin Ford, and Matthew Russell. The group’s name was inspired by Kevin’s brother who claimed to have found the “cheat code” to life. Please me know what that is, Kevin.
- Just so we cover ALL of the basics in this cheat sheet, EDM is an acronym for electronic dance music, which is a “set of percussive electronic music genres produced primarily for dance-based entertainment environments, such as nightclubs” (Wikipedia... sorry). Think “Where Are U Now” by Justin Bieber and “Closer” by The Chainsmokers.
- In July 2016, they released the single “Sex,” which eventually garnered international success and attention. The song samples the chorus from Salt-N-Pepa’s “Let’s Talk About Sex.” I can’t seem to figure out what it’s about. Let me know if you find out.
- They released “No Promises,” their collaboration with Demi Lovato, on March 31, 2017. It features vocals from Demi and group member Trevor. Cheat Codes earned their first Billboard Hot 100 song with a peak at Number 39. Based on its radio presence, I’m sure people will know (or at least pretend to know) this one.
- Don’t stress too much about researching their music before Plexapalooza. After all, EDM is supposed to be wild, fun, and mindless. Get hype for Plexapalooza, everyone!