Sometimes the things we say just are not what we mean in reality. This is often the case among BC students, so here’s a guide to translate what exactly your friends are trying to say.
1. BC Student: I have a lot of work to do, so I’m going to O’Neill.
Translation: I haven’t left my room all weekend. I need somewhere else to troll Facebook.
2. BC Student: I’m not going to drink as much tonight.
Translation: Someone say tequila?
3. BC Student: I can’t think of anything else to write.
Translation: Double-spaced, font size 14, 1.5 inch margins, right?
4. BC Student: Oh no, I don’t mind taking the stairs.
5. BC Student: I’m going to get dinner at the salad bar to be healthy.
Translation: The only reason I’m not in the steak and cheese line is that I’d have to wait longer.
6. BC Student: I’m going to wear heels tonight so I look classy.
Translation: My feet are going to hurt on the walk home.
7. BC Student: I need to go to the Plex to start working on my beach bod for summer.
Translation: I need to go to the Plex so I can get a second cookie from the Mac bakery.
8. BC Student: I miss my family.
Translation: I miss my bed, Mom’s cooking and showering without flip-flops.
9. BC Student: I’m going to start my essay early to get it out of the way.
Translation: I’m going to binge watch Netflix all week and do my essay late Thursday night.
10. BC Student: I’m never drinking again.
Translation: Give me a few hours to nap then let’s rally.
11. BC Student: Dress well, test well!
Translation: Do these slippers clash with my sweatpants?
12. BC Student: Let’s do a best friend shot, just you and me.
Translation: Let’s do a best friend shot – you and me… and fifteen people we don’t know.
13. BC Student: I’m going to commit to a new club this semester to get more involved around campus.
Translation: It’s cold out. There’s no way I’m going to that meeting.
14. BC Student: I’m friends with Kevin.
Translation: I don’t know anyone who lives in this Mod. Please let me in.
15. BC Student: I’m going to wake up early for sunrise yoga.
Translation: I’m going to sleep in and hopefully make it to my 10 A.M.
16. BC Student: I’m going to start going to office hours and introduce myself to my professor.
Translation: I’ll sit in the back of class where I won’t be noticed and take a nap.
17. BC Student: Let’s do a wine night to seem more sophisticated.
Translation: Slap the bag!
18. BC Student: No, I don’t know him.
Translation: Well, I’ve stalked him on Twitter a couple times, but we’ve never spoken in person.
19. BC Student: I’m going to call Mom to catch up on life at home.
Translation: I’m going to text Mom and ask her for money.
20. BC Student: I’m the greatest Superfan ever!
Translation: How does that “For Boston” song go again?