The tradition, the myth, the legend—Strip Mod is back. Take a study break this Tuesday at 10:30 PM to stop by Mod 27B and take part in the tradition that, to quote from the Facebook event, “BC won’t acknowledge but can’t shut down.” Here are the top ten things you didn’t know about Strip Mod.
1. No one knows exactly how or when the Strip Mod tradition began, but according to legend, the soccer team invented it in the late ‘90’s—likely as an excuse to show off their washboard abs and dancing prowess.
2. The show is supposed to be funny, not sexual. To see how the dancers achieve this delicate balance of comedy and nakedness, check out this video of a previous Strip Mod show.
3. There are three rules of Strip Mod.
First, there is a 15-minute time limit. Go any longer, and BCPD will shut down the show. Second, it is the only time when drinking is not allowed in the Mods. And finally, the show must conform to Boston’s public indecency laws, which means frontal nudity and thongs are not allowed.
4. That said, the entire wing of Walsh that faces the Mods will have a great aerial view of the show. So sophomores, kick back in your 8-mans and enjoy.
5. Strip Mod always happens twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring, and it always happens on the first night of study days.
6. Currently, the Strip Mod includes Mod 27A and 27B (so if you’re going for a mod next year and you won’t strip, don’t pick those Mods). However, the Strip Mod used to be 42A and 42B. Back in the day, BC demolished some of the Mods and renumbered them, causing the Strip Mod to relocate.
7. One of the students performing in this year’s Strip Mod is also hanging on one of the posters in the Robsham windows.
9. The stairs of the Strip Mod are covered in graffiti, including gems like “strip forever” and “strip like you’ve never stripped before.”
10. This is more of a conjecture then a fact, but if this year’s Strip Mod is going to live up to previous shows, my guess is that those guys have been practicing for a very long time. Make sure you come out to show your support this Tuesday!