In the shadows of the presidential election, you may not have heard the official outcomes on some of the important questions which were also on the ballot. But then again, unless you've been curled up under a rock for the past 24 hours, you probably heard the outcome of Question 3 on the Massachusetts ballot.
When all of the smoke of the election cleared late last night (LOL, get it?), voters okayed the legalization of medicinal marijuana in Massachuetts. This decision has huge implications for the movement to legalize the cannabis nationwide.
While Massachusetts' decision was overshadowed by other states' decision to legalize the recreational use of the drug, the medicinal marijuana victory was widely celebrated across the state.
And while unrestricted marijuana consumption is not quite technically legal, I would like to suggest a few quality stoner movies for your viewing entertainment to commemorate the electoral results. Enjoy these quality cannabis-filled films!
10. Tenacious D In The Pick of Destiny: Two stoners, Jack Black and Kyle Grass, go on a trippy journey to find a magical guitar pick that is made from Satan's tooth. Needless to say, when they ultimately find Satan it is IMPERATIVE that they challenge him to an epic rock-off. As part of their victor's spoils they snag Satan's own horn, in order to build the "Bong of Destiny."
9. Reefer Madness: The original stoner movie, which was actually intended to scare people out of their senses. The film was made to instruct people on the dangers of smoking pot, in a type of do-gooder public service announcement. However, the movie failed epically and became a stoner cult-classic.
8. Rolling Kansas: A classic example of a typical stoner movie plot line: stoners are broke, stoners need money, stoners go on a road trip to find a magical marijuana forest which will solve all of their pecuniary woes.
7. Half Baked: Stoners are broke, stoners steal weed, stoners get thrown in jail and shenanigans ensue. The usual, but this time Dave Chapelle steals the show.
6. Pineapple Express: How cute is James Franco? No, seriously. I am in love with him. He is the perfect pothead, and let's face it, he probably didn't have to do a whole lot of character development for this role if you catch my drift.
5. Dazed and Confused: A classic coming of age story. Think Breakfast Club with more pot.
4. Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke: Cheech and Chong had to make this list. The duo are considered the Grandaddies of Potheads, the Kings of Cannabis. They started out with a comedic routine, eventually developing into a movie series that slowly deteriorated into kitsch over time. But the first movie, Up in Smoke, is perfection.
3. Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle: A bro's gotta do what a bro's gotta do to get his sliders. Harold and Kumar go on an insane journey to the Midwest fast food chain, hindered along the way by Neil Patrick Harris and his destructive life decisions. But no worries, NPH pulls through in the end and treats the boys to White Castle.
2. Grandma's Boy: Two stoner roommates are kicked out of their apartment for defaulting on the rent and are forced to move in with Grandma. Please just imagine the hilarity which could ensue. In reality it's at least five times funnier.
1. Friday: Ice Cube owes a drug dealer 200 bucks. If he doesn't pay the debt by Friday, the dealer has promised to kill him and his best friend. Over 200 bucks. Yes, just yes.
Remember people, it's not legal for recreational use!