In lieu of a new episode of “How I Met Your Mother” last night, the presidential debate took over the airwaves. The views and opinions of the presidential candidates who will (hopefully) secure the future of our nation far outweighs my need to get my “HIMYM” fix for the week, but I was nonetheless disappointed. Sigh.
This week, I’m going to break down some common theories as to who might be “The Mother.”
Here is what we know so far:
- We have not yet met the mother (just to state the obvious)
- She has a yellow umbrella
- She was at the same St. Patrick’s Day party that Ted attended in a Season 3 episode
- She is in the economics class that Ted mistakes for his architecture class on his first day of being a professor
- Ted meets her on the day of Barney and Robin’s wedding
With those facts in mind, let’s look at some of the theories:
1) Bump Girl
This theory rests on a particular scene in the Season 3 episode “No Tomorrow.” While Ted is at the St. Patrick’s Day party, he walks across the club and accidentally bumps into a random woman. The two mutter their apologies and continue to go their separate ways. We don’t see the woman again. This scene is entirely pointless, unless “Bump Girl” is actually the mother and the writers threw in this scene to tease us.
At the end of “Belly Full of Turkey” in Season 1, there is a relatively pointless scene where Ted meets a stripper who calls herself Tracy. Future Ted then says, “And that kids, is how I met your mother.” The kids are horrified and Future Ted tells them he is only kidding. However, many believe that Tracy could actually be the mother. For one thing, Ted tells the kids that her name is Tracy and the kids, who presumably know their mother’s real name, are shocked to find out that Tracy is both their mother and a stripper. Future Ted’s claim that it is only a joke may be his way of concealing the mother’s identity for the sake of prolonging the story.
3) The Bass Player
A more recent theory suggests that the mother is the bass player in the band at Robin and Barney’s wedding. In the Season 8 premiere, “Farhampton,” we saw Ted sitting in the rain at the bus stop. The mother got out of a cab and walked over with her yellow umbrella and a guitar case in hand. We already know that Ted meets her on the day of Barney and Robin’s wedding and that she has a yellow umbrella, so this theory is plausible. Executive producer Craig Thomas has also confirmed that Ted meets the mother in this spot —thanks for ruining our fun, Craig Thomas.
4) Barney’s sister
This has become a popular theory among fans and it is, in my opinion, the one that is most likely accurate. It has been briefly mentioned in the show that Barney has a half-sister, but we have never seen or met her. I have to give credit to my friend, Jacqueline Felker, who first told me this theory and broke it down like this:
- We know that Ted meets the mother the day of Barney and Robin’s wedding. Barney’s sister would presumably be at her own brother’s wedding; therefore, Ted could very well meet her there or afterwards.
- We know that the mother was in the economics class that Ted accidentally taught on his first day of being a professor. In the episode “Legendaddy,” Barney’s dad mentions that the sister is in college, making it possible that she was in Ted’s class that day.
- When Future Ted talks to his kids, he refers to Barney and Robin as Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin. If Ted were married to Barney’s sister, Barney and Robin would legitimately be his kids’ aunt and uncle.
Those are all the theories I have for now. We’ll have to wait until next week to see if any are supported or crushed – tune in next Monday at 8 p.m. on CBS!